Tips what to wear In Home beautiful new born photo session
Choosing what to wear for newborn photo sessions can be such a chore for new parents who just want to sleep! Let’s be honest, deciding on a wardrobe for any photo session is tough, but choosing what to wear for newborn pictures brings in added challenges. Between a new mom’s changing body, dad’s nerves and the unpredictability of newborns… well, it’s stressful.
One the very first thing I get from my client when we schedule a Lifestyle New Born Session is what to wear. During the first weeks after a baby's arrival can be crazy and the last thing you need to be concern about is what to wear or how to style the rest of the family. I want you to feel beautiful and confident and not to worry about anything else other than loving your new bundle of joy. Once you have decided on your wardrobe, everything else will fall into place.
Let mom choose her outfit first.
1. Try to Stay In Your "Fashion Lane" First and foremost, I usually like to emphasize that your style and personality are the important. Let your every day wardrobe influence your outfit for this photo session. Staying within your "fashion lane" is basically listening to your inner fashionista and wearing what makes you, you.
2. Go for lighter colors: Wear neutrals.
We want your baby to be the central focus of the session so keeping everything else simple and neutral is kind of the key. Soft pastels such as blush, earth tones work great. If you are running out of ideas, white/ivory/brown color combinations are always a good option but please don't exactly match with your spouse, rather coordinate within the same color scheme.
If I were to pick one color that you should stay away from, I would say to definitely avoid BLACK.
3. Keeping It Casual. Lifestyle newborn sessions are photographed in the comfort of your home. Therefore you should compliment the "comfort" only a home can provide by opting for a more casual option when it comes to clothing. I would stay away from fancy dresses and especially high heels. I would even go further to suggest that bare feet look most natural in a home setting. The clothing should compliment the surroundings and stay barefoot.
4. Limit prints and patters and skip the graphic tees.
They can often be distracting and take away from the overall image. Funny words and phrases are fine in limited capacity but only for a few shots. I want the story to be about the connection between baby and parents. Rather than reading the words “my mom loves me” on a shirt, I want my clients to actually see the love in the photograph.
5. Get comfy. Movement Before making a final decision on what to wear, I would do a what I call "movement challenge". We will be photographing you laying down, standing up, from up above, from below... the clothing should allow you to move as freely as you can.
Not to forget, you will most likely be doing some diaper changes and feeds during the session. One of my go-to suggestions is a long flowy dress in a soft pastel color (white and ivory also work well). I personally love when new mothers wear dresses, it's often the easiest choice and it always garners the most compliments.
5. Baby Attire. I prefer babies dressed very simply in plain white onesies, wrapped in muslin swaddles or to just be in a diaper. The most important thing to pay attention to is that we want the chosen outfit to fit snug. Including a special item that holds meaning is always encouraged. Often, my clients have a blanket that they had as a baby themselves or for example a hat that someone in the family knitted and I am happy to include them in the session. I will bring some swaddle photography
Do you need help getting a cute outfit for your newborn lifestyle photo shoot?
I am using a styling service called Style and Select. It is an online interactive styling tool that curates outfits for the entire family based on your style type. Their tagline is “outfit coordination made easy” and I couldn’t agree more! I am a very visual person, so being able to see all potential outfits together is a huge benefit. This tool allows you to mix and match your own outfits just for your family. Ask me for your personal link to create your own family outfits. Don't forget to email the results so you can come back to your style board in the future if you need to reference it. Let me know if you have any question.
Interested in booking your own adventure and capturing candid and authentic moments with your family, let’s chat!